Centre for Progressive Policy Research (KEPP)
Yannos Papantoniou was born in Paris in 1949. He studied Economics at the Economics Department of the Law School of the University of Athens and the University of Wisconsin in Madison (USA) where he obtained his B.A. Degree in 1971. He then took the Diploma in History at the Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes in Paris in 1973. He completed his studies in Economics at the University of Cambridge where he obtained the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in 1977.
In the academic year 1977-78 he lectured as Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Economics of the Law School of the University of Athens. At the same time he was a researcher at the Greek Centre for Planning and Economic Research (KEPE).
From 1978 to 1981 he was a staff member at the Department of Economics and Statistics of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in Paris.
In 1981, he was elected Member of the European Parliament. In 1984 he became Advisor to the Prime Minister for European Community Affairs. Since 1988, he has been elected Member of the National Parliament for the first District of Athens.
Yannos Papantoniou first entered the government in 1985 as Deputy Minister of National Economy. In 1989 he became Minister of Trade. In 1993, when PASOK returned to power, Yannos Papantoniou first became Alternate Minister of National Economy. In 1994 he became Minister of National Economy, and from 1996 Minister of National Economy and Finance. In 2001, Yannos Papantoniou became Minister of National Defence.
In 2004-2007 he continued as Member of Parliament sitting in the opposition benches.
He is President of the Centre for Progressive Policy Research, an independent think-tank conducting research and organizing seminars and open discussions on public policy issues.
Yannos Papantoniou is Visiting Senior Fellow in the Hellenic Observatory within the European Institute at the London School of Economics and Political Science for the academic year 2009-10.
Yannos Papantoniou has published numerous articles and books, including the following:
- "Foreign Trade and Industrial Development: Greece and the EEC", Cambridge Journal of Economics, March 1979.
- Income Distribution and Capital Accumulation, Greek Industrialization 1958-1973, PAPAZISSIS publishers, Athens, 1979 (in Greek).
- "Growth and Recession in Western Europe" in Maurice Zeitlin (ed.), Political Power and Social Theory, JAI press, London, 1982.
- Europe and National Strategy, AICHMI, Athens, 1993 (in Greek).
- Modern State for a Strong Society, EXANTAS, Athens, 2003 (in Greek).
- "Introduction: The Accession to the EMU and the Modernization of the Greek Economy, 1994 - 2001" in Greece: The Accession to the EMU and the Challenges of the Future, KASTANIOTIS publishers, Athens, 2004 (in Greek).
- The Next Step, KASTANIOTIS publishers, Athens, 2006 (in Greek).
- "Centre - Left and Reforms" in H. Tsoukas (ed.), For a Progressive Policy, KASTANIOTIS publishers, Athens, 2007 (in Greek).
- "Directions for Progressive Governance" in D.Xenakis (ed.), Directions for Progressive Governance, PAPAZISSIS publishers in collaboration with the Centre for Progressive Policy Research, Athens, 2009 (in Greek).
- "Politics and the Economy" in D. Xenakis and Th. Pelagidis(ed.),
Interventions for Europe, PAPAZISSIS publishers in collaboration with the Centre for Progressive Policy Research and the Centre for Institutional Reforms, Athens, 2009 (in Greek).
- "After Ten Years: the Dynamic of the Euro" in the volume with the same title, PAPAZISSIS publishers in collaboration with the Centre for Progressive Policy Research, Athens, 2010 (in Greek).